Monday, June 8, 2009

Walking In The Rain

I know, I'm woefully negligent in posting anything lately. (I have the feeling that I've written that before.) My preparations for the 2009 3-Day are indeed ongoing. Thanks to several generous donors - including a wonderful stranger who had received my fundraising request from a mutua friend - I'm more than halfway to my goal of $2,300. I still have a ways to go, but I have no doubt my ever-growing network of angels will come through for me...and for all of us.

Despite a dry and mostly glorious month of May, I didn't put in too many training miles - four or five on a few occasions, maybe eight or nine a couple of times. But now that my garden is planted and we're into the month of June...and since it's only about two and a half months until the 3-Day, I will indeed be getting serious about walking. No, really, I'm serious. Honest, I will...I mean, I am.

Want proof? Saturday, June 6, was a cool, rainy, dreary day - probably the lousiest weather day we've had in the Twin Cities in quite a while. After a lazy morning and an early-afternoon nap, I laced up my shoes, put on some [relatively] waterproof clothes, and went out for about a five-miler. With the bonus miles I earned for walking in the rain and wind and cold (really, that's how it works), I figure that was equal to an eight-mile walk. And it wasn't all that bad...at least until I made the final turn for the last mile and started directly into the wind. I know I got a few strange looks from the nice people driving by in their cars.

Then again, that's probably not all that unusual.

No comments: