Anyone who has known me for a while (say, for more than 15 minutes) knows that my middle name is Procastination. One might think my motto is, "Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow?" Or possibly, "Just do it...later." Personally, I choose to believe that if something is worth doing, it's worth taking the time to do it right. (That noise you hear is the sound of my family laughing uproariously.)
I admit it. When it comes to almost any personal project or household task, even the ones I want to do, I'm a procrastinator of the first order. If I were to be knighted, the king (or queen) of a land where excessively pondering the necessity of all conceivable effort is considered holy would bestow upon me the title of Sir Delays-a-lot.
Normally, I'm on the ball with this 3-Day thing right out of the chute. My fundraising e-mails go out to anyone and everyone I can think of five or six months in advance of the event, with "gentle reminders" being sent every six to eight weeks thereafter. And even though I don't call it "training," I get out and walk around my neighborhood a couple of times a week (even in February and March, as long as it's not too cold and windy), until there's about three months to go, when get into full training mode, walking three or four days a week. Plus there's this blogging thing. Even in March and April, when there isn't a lot going on, I just make stuff up to give myself a reason to post something you might want to read.
This year, I have sent out fundraising e-mails to only a partial list of potential donors and have yet to bug anyone a second time. I probably need to do something about that. I am happy to report, though, that I'm nearly halfway to my fundraising goal of $2,300, so I thank all of you for your generous donations thus far.
Walking? Well the early spring weather here in Minnesota wasn't all that cooperative, especially on the weekends, and I just don't do that mall-walking thing or the treadmill thing. So I guess my pre-training hasn't been as diligent as it has in the past. However, my teammates from "Angel Wings" got me out on each of the last two [rather chilly] Saturday mornings to put in some miles. It still doesn't really feel like training yet, but I am wearing my official training shoes and socks. (No, I'm not yet wearing my waist pack with the two water bottles - I will hold off on wearing that thing until my team captain forces me to set a good example for our teammates and training partners.)
As for blogging, my muse is withholding inspiration and has not been speaking to me lately. I think she's mad that I haven't started the lawn mower this spring or prepped the garden areas for the flowers and vegetables I have yet to purchase or thrown out a bunch of junk from the garage (that I intended to do last year). Hey, at least I finally turned on the sprinkler system today. I know I'll get to all those other things eventually.
Besides, there's always tomorrow - 94 of them, to be exact, until Day 1 of the 2009 Twin Cities 3-Day, as a matter of fact. Hmmm...that's not a lot of time. I suppose I'd better get to it...
Tuesday, May 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment