Mr. Procrastination is finally in full-fledged training mode. With only two months until the 2009 Twin Cities 3-Day (exactly two months today, as a matter of fact!), it is indeed about time.
Last weekend, I put in about 11 miles on Saturday and about 8 or 9 on Sunday, walking by myself in my extended neighborhood both days. Yes, it was rather boring and tedious. But the weather was gorgeous and despite having other "commitments" scheduled during the weekend, I was determined to get out on the road and put it in my miles.
Of course, I could have gone to walk at one of several parks that are within a short drive from home and had a change of scenery. However, I have a route of 4-5 miles mapped out near my home, which allows me to carry just one water bottle and thus avoid wearing that God-awful waist pack (the term "fanny pack" is even more nauseating, though far more accurate). The route brings me back to my house for a "pit stop', where I can refill the bottle, use the bathroom, and grab a quick snack. So it's mostly about convenience. I know, I'm a wimp. Hey, I walk hundreds of miles every summer and 60 over 3 consecutive days. If I want to make it easy on myself, I will. Sue me. :-)
The combination of 20 miles over two successive days was my first significant "back-to-back" (as its known in 3-Day language) of the season. The miles seemed to go rather easily - no pain, no discomfort. The big miles are still to come, but I think I'm right on track.
Yesterday and today, I walked with three of my Angel Wings teammates - Selina, Lori, and Teresa. Thank God for teammates and training partners! They made the two days so much more enjoyable, especially since we walked 14 miles at Lake Calhoun/Lake Harriet in Minneapolis on Saturday and 10 miles today (Sunday) at Como Park. The weather was absolutely awesome yesterday - sunny, warm, not too hot - there were lots of people out walking and jogging and biking around the lakes, and we were in great spirits, being able to walk together for only the second time this year.
We took turns sharing stories of recent goings-on in our lives, in addition to the usual 3-Day-related banter. I'm sworn to secrecy regarding certain aspects of our conversation, but I can share a few tidbits: We have a new nickname/title for Selina, thanks to my friend and past walking partner Maria J. Since our team is named Angel Wings and Selina is our captain, I'm calling her Archangel Selina. She is often a messenger of uplifting news to all of us, so the title fits perfectly! Secondly, Lori spent a fabulous extended weekend in Chicago, attending all three games of the Twins-Cubs series. (I'm so jealous!!!). And thirdly, Teresa is pregnant with her first child - 14 weeks and all is well. Congratulations to her and her husband!
Our walk today at Como took place under mostly cloudy skies, which helped to keep things cool. And aside from a minor situation on the path with a bunch of runners participating in a Father's Day event of some sort - it was a challenge for several of them to remember how they had been instructed to SHARE THE PATH (seriously!) - we enjoyed a good walk and more good conversation. Thanks again, ladies. It's definitely going to be a lot of fun as our summer training continues - hopefully other members of our team will be able to join us on future walks.
Okay, for those who haven't heard and are still wondering, this year's 3-Day will begin at Southdale in Edina, on Friday the 21st, and will end, as has become tradition, at the State Capitol in St. Paul on Sunday. As always, I'll be sure to share more detail about the route as it becomes available.
There is much more to come from the road to the 3-Day. Until then - be well, my friends...
Scott's Official 3-Day Countdown: 61 days (that's exactly two months!!!) until Day 1.
Sunday, June 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Scott, Have you seen the 2009 Twin Cities route yet? Do you know when it will be released? I'm a first-time walker and I'm anxious to see where we're going to be.
Barb T.
Post a Comment