Friday, September 5, 2008

It's Gotta Be The Shoes

In the past, I've written about the vital importance of having the right shoes for not only walking 60 miles over the course of three days, but also for walking the hundreds of training miles throughout the year. Even for those not afflicted with the mental instability of a 3-Day walker who wish to simply get their daily exercise, it's a pretty good idea to wear shoes that will keep your feet from threatening to secede from your body.

So on the cusp of my fifth 3-Day, I thought I'd share my past - and present - choices for footwear. (Obviously, everyone's feet are different and past performance is not a guarantee of future results. Consult your athletic shoe professional consultant before purchase.)


2003 Reebok 403 Walker (replica) - used on my first 3-Day, during which I learned why leather "walking" shoes are not recommended for long-distance walking. Blisters were not a significant problem, however, recurring foot and leg soreness requiring extensive rest after long training walks - and throughout the week following the 3-Day.




2005 Brooks Adrenaline GTS5 - Finally figured it out...go to an athletic shoe store and get fitted for the proper shoes. These lightweight running shoes were much better suited for distance walking, especially when I adjusted the laces to skip a set of eyelets, in order to keep pressure off the top of my foot. Had one minor blister spot, on the outside of my heel, but was more of a nuisance than a problem.




2006 Brooks Adrenaline GTS6 - The motto regarding equipment on the 3-Day should be, once you find something that works, you stick with it. I got as much mileage out the 2005 shoes as I could throughout 2006 training, but needed a new pair shortly before the 3-Day. The result: No pain, no blisters, no problems. They worked so well, I used them for 2007, as well.





2008 Brooks Adrenaline GTS8 - Had to get some new shoes this year. I test-walked a couple of different styles, but came back to what felt right. So far, I've been blister-free all spring and summer.








Post-walk shoes - my favorite...any questions?









Scott's Official 3-Day Countdown: 12 days until Day 1

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who knew you'd become a shoe expert?