I’m back to tending to my primary duties as chief blogmaster, having returned from an extended tour of top secret Breast Cancer 3-Day netherworld locations related to training, fundraising, training, job search, training, the Summer Olympics, training, the presidential campaign, and…did I mention this?...training.
Okay, seriously…My fundraising is lagging a bit – maybe my prospective donors are slacking off, as I had done with my job search earlier this past spring and summer. But I have overcome – at least temporarily – my procrastination and the job search is heating up. I expect to be back among the gainfully employed very soon…so come on, donors, LET’S GO! I mean we’re talking about 60 freakin’ miles in only three days – this ain’t no walk in the park, you know! Pry open your checkbooks and throw me a bone. (Sorry for the mixed metaphor.)
Frankly, I didn’t watch a lot of the Olympics – a few swimming events, a little gymnastics, and a handful of track events, where either somebody dropped the baton or the Jamaicans blew left everyone in the dust. Either I was out walking or sitting at my computer…or watching the Food Network.
As for the presidential campaign, I think they decided who the final two candidates would be about three months ago. So call me in November. Until then, leave me alone.
The Breast Cancer 3-Day events have finally started – Chicago, Boston, and Cleveland are in the books. Judging by the postings on the 3-Day website message boards, the spirit is indeed alive and well – thousands of walkers and crew are experiencing the world the way it ought to be, despite the occasional downpour. (Don’t worry, as the official Twin Cities 3-Day meteorologist and resident soothsayer with the ear of Mother Nature, I am once again able to ensure a rain-free weekend on Sept. 19-21.) And we here in the Twin Cities are less than a month away from our turn on the big stage.
Finally, the training walks continue. The longer they get, the closer we are to the 3-Day. (And they are indeed getting long!) Thus far, my feet and legs are cooperating fully – no blisters, no aches and pains…It seems that after five years, I may have finally got it right. As the old Nike commercials with Michael Jordan and Spike Lee used to say, “It’s gotta be the shoes.” And, I might add, it’s also the socks.
That’s all for now…I need to get up early tomorrow and go walking.
Unless it rains.
Scott’s Official 3-Day Countdown: 23 days until Day 1 (holy @#$%!!!)
Wednesday, August 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment