After several months of training, fundraising, and preparation, the 2008 Twin Cities 3-Day is finally here. Tomorrow morning, I'll be gathering with more than 3,000 of my closest personal friends at the Minnesota State Fairgrounds in St. Paul, MN by the dawn's early light (actually, it'll still be dark at 6:00AM!) for the Opening Ceremony. Then we'll be on our way.
I wanted to just take a few moments to thank all of you who have supported me with donations and thoughts and prayers and well-wishes. It has been an absolute pleasure to have you join me on the road to the 3-Day. In fact, I couldn't have made it this far without you. Contrary to popular belief, just because I've walked in the 3-Day four previous times doesn't necessarily mean it's easy. All of you who have taken the time to read the ramblings on this web site have encouraged me in this endeavor and have reminded me of all the reasons for doing it.
Most of you know that my connection to breast cancer is not nearly as personal as most 3-Day participants. My initial inspiration, a friend named Stacey, is healthy and cancer-free and will likely remain so for the rest of her life. But each year, I've found new inspirations - friends I've met on the 3-Day who are survivors or are still battling cancer; the women (and young girls) in my family who are healthy and hope to stay that way; an old high school classmate coming to the end of her ten-year fight.
This year - 49 days ago, to be exact - a former co-worker, whom I've come to call my friend, passed away after a ferocious three and a half year battle with breast cancer. I was looking forward to seeing Jill along the 3-Day route and at the closing ceremony, cheering on the walkers. Maybe no one else will see her, but I'll know she'll be there every step of the way.
So I thank you, all of you who are part of my 3-Day family. Over the next three glorious late summer days (and nights), I'll do my best to record each moment - good, bad, and ugly - and present them here upon my triumphant return. (That means I'll try to remember to take pictures and write stuff down, so I can post the highlights next week.)
Until then...be well!
"All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them." - Galileo Galilei
Scott's Official 3-Day Countdown: Less than 1 Day until Day 1!!! (as of 7:00PM CDT, only 12 hours until "GO" time)
Thursday, September 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment