Monday, July 28, 2008

The Beat Goes On

The beat goes on...I'm in a routine with my training now - a regimen, if you will. No, wait, don't call it a regimen. It's not that intensive. But I am walking 4-5 miles a couple of times during the week - usually on Tuesdays and Thursdays - and longer distances on the weekends. This past weekend, I walked with my friend and 7-time veteran 3-Day walker Selina at Lake Calhoun and Lake Harriet in Minneapolis. We walked 12 miles on Saturday, which was presumably a gorgeous summer morning - I'm not entirely sure, as we started out at 7:00 AM...not my usual starting time for anything on a Saturday, even if it involves free food.

It was really nice to be able to talk and laugh with someone else, rather than try to amuse myself over the course of four hours. Granted, the scenery around the lakes is fabulous, but after a while, all the trees and people and dogs start to look the same. (Well, maybe not the people - not all sports bras are created equal.)

I was reminded of my first 3-Day in 2004, when I started out training by myself in the spring, but soon found a group to walk with on the weekends. They were a godsend, as I don't know that I would have been able to keep up with the training schedule - especially the loooonnngg walks of 12, 15, 18 miles - on my own.

After a late night Saturday with a group of non-walker friends (no, I didn't overindulge on alcoholic beverages), I met Selina on Sunday morning - once again, bright and early at Lake Calhoun. It was warmer and steamier, as we walked about 13 miles, but once again the time passed quickly and the walking hardly seemed like drudgery. Don't get me wrong, though, my feet and legs were quite happy to come home, stand in a hot shower, and crawl into bed for an afternoon nap.

Today's my day off...no training - other than a sweaty workout mowing the lawn. But the beat goes on. And so does the fundraising - I'm up to $1,315 in donations...THANK YOU!!! Obviously, there's more work to be done and I hope you'll support me.

Be well...


Scott's Official 3-Day Countdown: 53 days until Day 1

1 comment:

Breast Cancer 3-Day said...

As we get closer to event season, we wanted to invite you to join the official Breast Cancer 3-Day Flickr group, YouTube channel, Facebook fan page or MySpace page to share photos, videos and stories.

Best of luck to you!