Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Passing The Test

I spent the majority of the weekend walking - 18 miles on Saturday and 13 on Sunday. And I feel just fine. Actually, the small toe I badly stubbed less than two weeks ago felt better on Monday, after the back-to-back walks, than it did last Friday, before the long walks. Go figure.

Saturday was a perfect day for walking; mostly sunny, a nice breeze, not too warm - temps in the 60s during the morning and up to maybe 80 by the time we finished at 3:30 or 4:00. I walked with 5 other ladies around Lake of the Isles, Lake Calhoun, and Lake Harriet in Minneapolis. There were lots of people, but it didn't seem too crowded. Good people-watching, if you didn't count the occasional man sunbathing in a Speedo. Hmmm... Although, I had plenty to look at myself (like admiring the advanced engineering that has gone into women's modern walking/running shorts - my, they are certainly...snug), so it was only fair that the women had something to look at. Plus, the one guy did appear to be in pretty good physical condition - and at least he was laying face down on the ground!

I often tell myself that I need to get a couple friends and spend the day at one of those lakes. There is something for people of all ages. Beaches, walking/biking paths, sand volleyball courts, open areas for a little touch football, fishing piers, large shade trees to sit and read. The old homes surrounding the lakes are architecturally stunning, with gorgeous lawns, trees, and landscaping. And depending on your location, there are great views of the downtown Minneapolis skyline. It's really the best example of how to enjoy summertime in the Twin Cities.

Sunday's training walk was at Bunker Hills park in Andover, our usual Sunday location. The "official" (i.e., recommended) training schedule called for 13 miles. After nearly four summers of training, I probably don't need to follow it so diligently. But despite not having any appreciable issues with blisters or foot/leg pain (excluding klutz-induced stubbed toes), I'm generally wary of taking my training too lightly. So out I went.

I walked with five (or six?) others from our team. It was warmer than on Saturday, especially without the benefit of a cool breeze off of a large lake. We stopped frequently to rest and stretch (and to use the facilities), much like on Saturday. We took a lunch break at 9 miles...and then my co-workers abandoned me! They all went home! Can you believe it? Apparently, some of them actually have lives. And even though I probably had less of a need to "finish" the day, I did anyway.

It was kind of nice, walking by myself. The park was quiet, save for the sounds of birds chirping at each other (or at that crazy-looking person walking with that pack-thing strapped around his waist) and the sound of the wind, high in the trees. I let my thoughts go where they wished, felt the warm sun on my shoulders and soon found myself back at the parking lot in no time at all.

After all was said and done...er - walked, I decided I had passed the test. Two lengthy back-to-back walks, no aches or pains, and plenty of reserve to walk a little more. I'm planning one more big back-to-back weekend, this coming Saturday and Sunday, 18 and 15 miles, after which I should be able to declare myself "ready".

The countdown continues - 38 days until Day 1. We're almost there - thanks for hanging in there with me.

No comments: