I met my teammates for breakfast and we got ready for another day out on the paths and sidewalks and streets of the Twin Cities. This time I didn't lose them! Even though the sun was barely above the horizon when we started walking, the Safety crew members at each intersection were already full of energy, talking, laughing, and making jokes. You guys (and ladies) are the best!
After the first pit stop of the day, we came to the first cheering station of the day in Vadnais Heights. WOW!!! There were so many people that they lined both sides of the sidewalk for at least three blocks. I don't know how many times I heard the words, "Thank you for walking," and saw men and women (and children) clapping and just shaking their heads in awe. Even after six years, I am in awe of it myself.
But we still had a long way to go on this day. After spending a few minutes with our families and friends who had come out to the cheering station, we continued on through still-quiet neighborhoods and park trails. Edina high school cheerleaders greeted us at pit stop #2. We walked along the shore of Lake Vadnais, the waters of which were nearly as smooth as glass. The sun rose higher, warming the air (and my fingers). Our lunch stop at Island Lake School was a welcome respite, after nearly 11 miles - not even the halfway point of our day!
It's impossible to walk 20+ miles in a day without a whole lot of help. Our 400-member crew directs
us on the route, fills our water bottles and serves snacks at the pit stops, feeds us lunch, picks us up if we can't walk another step, and takes care of our every need in camp. Spectators write messages on the sidewalk, urging us on. And then there are the "walker stalkers" - dozens of people in cars or on motorcycles (you guys in the gray camoflage t-shirts are awesome!), following the stream of walkers, honking horns and waving and yelling (and bending one or two or ten traffic safety laws).
The walker stalkers were everywhere on Day 2 - at least until our path left the streets of St. Paul at mile 19 and moved onto the Gateway Trail. The trail is really quite beautiful, considering its in such an urban setting. Trees border the path and form a canopy overhead. It's quiet and peaceful and perfect for a biking with the family on a summer afternoon...or for taking a leisurely stroll with a couple thousand of your closest personal friends, who by now have exhausted nearly every possible topic of conversation. Still, walkers continued to be polite and courteous and helpful and friendly. At this point in the day, they're just not as vocal. :)Finally, after being cheered on by people who cannot possibly still have voices left, we arrived in camp after almost 23 miles and more than nine hours on the road. I couldn't wait to sit down, take off my shoes, relax, and enjoy a nice hot shower.
Now, about that shower thing...We have these converted trucks, which each have several shower stalls. It's a great setup, but there never seem to be enough showers for the ladies. They always have to patiently wait longer than they should. The men, on the other hand, have one shower truck, which is more than enough. We're in and out of there in no time. On occasion, the men's showers are empty, which allows the crew to open them for women. It's always funny to see the last man come out of the shower, greeted by cheers from the women waiting to enter. At least it was funny until that last man was...me! (Okay, I admit it - I enjoyed it.) I just hope I didn't take too long...
I didn't watch much of the evening program after dinner. I hung out at my tent, chatting with my
teammates. The sun dipped below the trees - it was going to be another cool night. I was tired, but thankful to be in this place, with these people. I listened to the sounds of the dance party going on in the dining tent (it always amazes me how people who have walked 40+ miles find that kind of energy). Then the lights went out and I listened to the gentle snoring of a lovely unknown woman in a neighboring tent, before I eventually fell asleep, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment