A couple of weeks ago, I attended a Getting Started meeting not far from my home, mostly to see a couple of my 3-Day friends who were making the presentation to the group of prospective new walkers and answering their questions. I didn't think I had much to learn, having done this for a while now. And for the most part, it was indeed a lot of information with which I was very familiar.
But I picked up a few things I hadn't thought of, specifically regarding fundraising. Every day, there are countless stories in the news reminding us that we are in the midst of a global economic collapse - the banks don't have any money, nobody's buying anything other than the most basic necessities, and pretty soon we'll all be on the unemployment line. (Yes, I'm exaggerating for effect. No, I'm not sorry about it.)
When you send out those fundraising letters and e-mails, gently remind your prospective donors that are there people are newly diagnosed (and need to be treated), even in a tough economy. Suggest that a few weeks without a $4 morning latte' or skipping a couple of pizza dinners for the family is equivalent to a $50 (or more) donation. Also remind your supporters that they have the option to spread their donation out over several months. And if their company makes matching contributions to charity, their donation can be doubled.
Personally, I intend to break a long-standing rule of fundraising and tell people that if they really, truly can't (or don't want to) make a donation, well then that's fine by me. I'm not going to go to their home and hold them up at gunpoint for $25. However, I will ask that they spread the word about what I'm doing to whomever they can - family, friends, co-workers, favorite grocery store clerk, etc. I'll be doing the same thing myself, talking to people at my church and to several high school classmates with whom I've been reunited with on Facebook.
Speaking of which, use the social networking site of your choice as a fundraising tool. I hadn't thought of that. Copy the 3-Day widget from the official website and put everywhere you have a personal presence on the web. And also include the link to the official 3-Day video, which is a more powerful statement than anything I could come up with myself. Much of the footage from the video was taken from last year's Twin Cities 3-Day, which those of here in Minnesota think is pretty cool. (No, I'm not in it...maybe I'm in the "director's cut"...)
Last week, I had the pleasure of talking to one of my co-workers, Becky, who has registered for her first 3-Day. Apparently, I mentioned my past experience to someone in the office, who in turn told Becky about me, so she sought my vast knowledge (such as it is). We talked about training, footwear, fundraising, and the experience in general. She's nervous, but obviously excited. I told her she's in for a real treat. Sure, there will be hundreds of miles of training and thousands of dollars to raise and all kinds of equipment to buy and the event still seems like a long ways off.
Well...maybe not that far off. Five months. 22 weeks. 152 days. And counting...So let's get started.
Sunday, March 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment