Sunday, October 19, 2008

Epilogue

Nearly a month has passed since the completion of the 2008 Twin Cities Breast Cancer 3-Day. Those of us who participated, whether it be as walkers, crew, staff, or volunteers, have returned to what passes for our normal lives. Granted, there are still lingering signs of withdrawal - few of us probably still get up at 6:00 on a Saturday morning to go walking for three or four or five hours; no one honks their horn as they drive past, unless we're walking out in the middle of the street; I even have an occasional craving for grape-flavored Gatorade G2.

And I'm sure a handful of us who got addicted to the message boards on the 3-Day website are still taking a peek to see the reports from the events in other cities over the past month. But for the most part, it's over. I've tossed my walking shoes in the back of the closet, thrown out the grungy, nasty, worn-out socks, and put away my waist pack and water bottles until next spring.

I am left with pictures and memories and stories from the 2008 3-Day, which will last throughout the long Minnesota winter soon to come. What will also remain in my mind and in my heart during the "off-season" are the reasons why I walk those sixty miles, not to mention the hundreds of training miles, and beg my family and friends for thousands of dollars in donations. I walk in memory of my friends Cathy and Jill, who have lost their battle with breast cancer in recent years. I walk in support of my friends, some newly made this past September, who continue their battle. I walk in honor of the many friends who have won their battle and are now cancer-free, thanks to early diagnosis and treatment made possible by the money we raise for Susan G. Komen For The Cure. And I especially walk for all the women, young and not-so-young, in my life - family, friends, neighbors, and co-workers - who are healthy and hope to stay that way. Most of all, I walk because I can, for those who can't.

Once again, thank you for following my frequent ramblings on this blog and for joining me on the road to the 3-Day. I've enjoyed being your guide, even if we've occasionally veered off into unchartered territory. I'll be going on hiatus and won't be writing during the ensuing months, but I won't be far away. And when it comes time to chronicle another 3-Day adventure, I'll be back to share my own unique perspective. I hope you'll be back, too.

Take care and be well...


"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make." - John Lennon/Paul McCartney

No comments: