Monday, September 22, 2008

Opening Ceremony/Day 1 - Friday

Morning came early on Friday, September 19. I was up at 4:30AM after my usual pre-walk night of fitful sleep. I met my friend and training companion Maria at her house shortly before 5:30 and her husband Dave drove us to the State Fairgrounds, where we joined hundreds of other walkers in the cool pre-dawn darkness to wait for the start of the 2008 Twin Cities 3-Day.

Finally, with more than 3,000 of us assembled in front of a stage decked out in giant pink banners, we had our opening ceremony as the sun rose above the horizon. Walkers carried flags bearing the words that define the spirit and purpose of the 3-Day: Celebrations, Discoveries, Strength, Challenges, Joy, Victories, and many more. A group of women formed the Survivor’s Circle, joining hands after raising their own flags – Belief, Patience, Courage, Healing, Commitment, and Optimism.

Then, as the strains of U2’s “Beautiful Day” blasted across the fairgrounds, it was “go” time and we marched out onto the streets of St. Paul, cheered on by a gauntlet of hundreds of crew members and volunteers.

The morning of Day 1 took us through the neighborhoods of St. Paul – Como Park, Crocus Hill, and down historic Summit Ave. At an intersection on Summit, I stopped behind a woman who looked at me and said, “Excuse me, do you know Sharon (last name withheld)?” I paused and replied, “Ummm…yes, I do.” The woman introduced herself as Jennifer, a co-worker of Sharon’s, and said she was told to look for me during the weekend. And in one of those little miracles we’ve come to expect on the 3-Day, she found me less than three hours after we left the opening ceremonies! Interestingly, I never saw Jennifer again...maybe it was something I said. ;-)

We walked down to the riverfront and followed the Mississippi River past the downtown St. Paul skyline. After leaving the second pit stop of the day, I walked up next to a woman, somewhat beyond middle-age (to put it politely), who wore a makeshift cape bearing buttons and messages commemorating past breast cancer walks. She introduced herself as Barbara Jo from California, a veteran of 95 – yes, 95!!! – breast cancer long-distance walks dating back to 1998. All that I – or anyone else within listening range – could say was, “Wow!” She also added that her husband, who joins her occasionally during the course of every walk, is part of a group we know as Team California, who posts pink flyers bearing funny and inspirational messages all along the route, as a way of cheering on every walker. Once I knew the source of these signs, I looked forward to them even more.

After lunch at Indian Mounds Park on the bluffs overlooking the river, my walking partners Maria, Selina and Lori came upon a woman walking alone. I was a couple of steps past her when I remembered my manners and pulled back to say hello and introduce myself. Her name was Krista (sp?) and she had come to the 3-Day by herself from her home in northern Wisconsin. She said she was walking in memory of her mom, who passed away from breast cancer last September, but who was with her every step of the way, as Krista was literally walking in her mother’s very own shoes. Those shoes cared for her and kept her feet blister-free throughout the weekend. By Sunday, Krista had been walking with her tentmate and another woman for two full days, proof that some may come to the 3-Day alone, but will always leave with friends.

The afternoon took us past an energizing cheering station with hundreds of spectators and around Lake Phalen, before the final section of the 21.5-mile Day 1 trail that lead into camp at Maplewood's Harvest Park, the tent city that would be our home away from home for the next two nights. As I arrived, I saw my friends Dawn and Mary – crew members working near the camp entrance – and Becky, a survivor with whom I’ve walked in every Twin Cities 3-Day. I met my tentmate, Ryan, who was part of another team, the 2nd Base Defenders. Later that evening, two of his female teammates decided to leave camp and stay at a hotel, allowing Ryan to move into their vacated tent and leaving me in my own tent. Ah…the simple pleasures found on the 3-Day!

A couple of brief rain showers passed during our evening meal while we enjoyed a performance by the Satin Dolls senior tap dance troupe, and after the 3-Day Rock Star karaoke contest (no, I didn't participate!), it was time to turn in for the night…and try to get a little sleep before Day 2.



"Henceforth I whimper no more, postpone no more, need nothing...Strong and content I travel the open road." - Walt Whitman

No comments: