Saturday, June 9, 2007

Good News

I should have posted this entry earlier in the week, but it seemed like I had something to do or somewhere to be each evening (very atypical for my boring life) – a softball game, mowing the lawn, dinner with friends, etc. And, of course, there’s this pesky little thing called a job that occupies my days. So it was almost an afterthought when I decided to check up on one of my breast cancer survivor friends.

Regular readers may recall an earlier post in which I wrote about Jill, a friend and former co-worker, who has been fighting breast cancer for nearly two and a half years. Some of you know her personally. Her strength and attitude and faith continue to amaze us all. Each time she gets rid of the cancer, it returns, and she fights it off again. In March, she learned that the cancer had reappeared in the bones of her pelvis, arm and two locations of her spine.

She began another series of weekly chemo treatments, which included an occasional 12-hour “pump”, as she called it. (Sorry, but the visual in my mind makes me chuckle. I'm picturing her hooked up to an antique water pump and the nurses are taking turns cranking away!)

On Tuesday, May 29, Jill had a PET scan to assess the progress and received the wonderful news that there has been “significant improvement” and several spots were “non longer visible”. Ok, all together now…YIPPPEEEE!!!!! Additionally, she will now be able to have reconstruction surgery, so she’ll have nice new boobs for summer. Her husband Keith better keep a close eye on her, as I’m sure she’ll attract all kinds of attention!

Jill’s surgery was on Thursday. She had a little bleeding on her right side, where they chose not to insert a drain tube, so they needed to go back in and take care of that. I’m sure all will be well and she’ll be able to get back on track with her recovery.


Again, that’s why we do what we do. So I better get back out there.

No comments: